Tuesday, August 21, 2007

And Then There Were Two.

2 years.
While listening to NPR the other day, the program host said that throughout the month of August we would be hearing interviews and experiences from Hurricane Katrina. 2007 marks the 2nd anniversary.
2 years.
Two years already?!? Just doesn't seem that long ago. Maybe because not only do we still see destruction, we live with it everyday. Everywhere we turn there is something to remind us of that horrible day. We've made progress, but it will take much longer.

I think about my own experiences and wonder what happened to the people who touched my life.
People who I went to help but I never got the opportunity to tell them how they changed my life.
My friend Mary ( whom I have told how important she was to me during that time), who begged me to come stay with her and bring thee dogs. She had plenty of kennel room for me and the dogs :) . I was reluctant, but I went. THE day came and seemed like it lasted forever. We nervously chatted while watching old oaks bend and sway, electricity flicker on and off and torrential rains.
We heard unfamiliar dogs barking outside in the front yard. We opened the door and her neighbor's dogs had gotten loose and were scared to death running down the street, looking for shelter. The winds were 100 mph at this point. We watched them for a few minutes and Mary said she hoped they went home and we went inside. I was frustrated, but since it wasn't my house and I was a guest, I didn't feel comfortable asking her to take in 2 big German Shepards.
A few minutes later, we heard frantic barking. the winds were gusting more than the 100 mph, trees were snapping everywhere. I opened the front door to watch out for the dogs and they were panting so hard, near hysteria. I told Mary we just couldn't leave them out there to die! I had to laugh because she knew I was right but just how were we going to get them and make room for them?
I threw on my raincoat, which was even funnier. Raincoats aren't worth diddley squat in a hurricane. I paid it no mind and started running out across the street towards the woods where the dogs were. I had to chase them up the street in this horrendous wind and rain! Finally! I caught up with them and brought them back and they stayed overnight. Mary took them to work with her at the Rescue League and worked on finding the owners. A few days later, the owners called and they were reunited with their dogs. I will never forget my Katrina Rescue. Or Mary, who very well could have saved my life and my dog's lives. * this was pre bunnies*

I will recount some more experiences throughout the month, especially closer to THE Day, share some pictures and thank many people.
Remember to tell the ones you love and care about just how important they are to you. Never waste time when it comes to relationships, for one day, they may end before it's time.




No comments: